Saturday, February 2, 2013

Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches

I'm a hard core grilled cheese fan. The love of them started when I was pregnant with my first baby. Grilled cheese was the only food that sounded good and the only thing my stomach tolerated the first 4 months of my pregnancy. Since then I've become a grilled cheese connoisseur. This recipe is basically a fancied up version of my favorite sammy. It reminds me a little of another one of my faves; the Monte Cristo. It got 2 thumbs up from everyone at our table, baby included. Enjoy!
------------------------------------------
  • 1 lb. Mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • 8 Slices Texas Toast Bread
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 c. Heavy cream
  • 1 t. Fresh Thyme, leaves
  • 1 t. Coarse Salt
  • A grating of Nutmeg
  • 1/4 c. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 T. Unsalted Butter
Place the sliced mozzarella on 4 slices of the bread. Cover with the remaining slices of bread to form the sandwiches. Trim the crusts off to make perfect squares.
In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.  Add the cream, thyme, salt, and numeg. Whisk until well blended.
In a 10-12 inch nonstick saute pan, heat 2 T. of olive oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add 1 T of the butter and cook until the sizzling subsides. Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat, place in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side (about 2 minutes). Flip over and brown the other side. Transfer the sandwiches to individual plates and repeat the process with the remaining 2 T of olive oil, 1 T. butter and 2 sandwiches. Cut in half and serve immediately.

No comments: