Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole

I recently started working in the Young Women organization for my church and I have had the privilege to meet some amazing women. Two of the women I work with are extreme health nuts; they introduced me to quinoa. I had heard of it and had seen it but was never interested in trying it. Long story short, I tried it and I love it! Here is a tasty {of course it is tasty or I wouldn't be posting it}quinoa casserole!
--------------------------------------------------------

  • 1 1/2 c. Quinoa
  • 1 head Broccoli, cut into small florets
  • 3 T. Unsalted Butter
  • 3 T. Flour
  • 2 Shallots, diced
  • 2 c. Milk (I always go low fat)
  • 1/4 t. Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 t. Dry Mustard
  • 1/4 t. Cayenne Pepper
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 8 oz sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
  • 2 c. shredded cooked Chicken
Cook the quinoa according to the package directions. Meanwhile, place the broccoli in a saucepan and add a couple inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.  Let boil just 1-2 minutes more until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour, shallots, garlic powder, dry mustard and cayenne. Continue whisking the mixture until it is light golden in color, about 1-2 minutes.  Slowly whisk in the milk. Allow the sauce to simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, broccoli florets, shredded cooked chicken and the cheese sauce. Fold together gently until evenly combined.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased casserole dish.  Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 20-25 minutes.  Serve warm.

No comments: